Why do my sublimation prints fade after a single wash? Sublimation Ink washing out is a common issue you ever face in the washing of sublimation prints. To prevent the Sublimation Ink from washing out you must know the reasons for this problem. This may be due to the low-quality ink or sublimation paper or the default in the Sublimation printer.
Major Causes of Sublimation Ink Washing Out
There are some major causes of the sublimation print fading after washing.
- Washing is an essential factor that causes the sublimation ink to be faded. If you wash your t-shirt with hot water, it ultimately results in the Sublimation Ink being faded or washed out.
- The number of Washes and the usage of detergents containing chemicals like bleach or other harmful chemicals are the main reasons for the sublimation ink washing out.
- After washing, if you dry the t-shirt in the sun the ultraviolet radiation will lead to the sublimation ink fading.
Prevention of Sublimation ink from washing out- Tips and Tricks
To prevent the sublimation ink from washing out, you must follow some washing instructions.
- Firstly, avoid washing t-shirts again and again when there is no need to wash them.
- Secondly, don’t Wash the t-shirts with hot water. It may result in the sublimation ink washing out. Instead, use cold water for washing.
- Don’t Wash t-shirts with detergent containing chemicals like bleach or other harmful chemicals. Detergents with bleaching agents may lead to the sublimation print washing out or fading because sublimation prints cannot stay against the bleaching agents.
- Don’t dry clean
- Ultraviolet radiations are one of the most important factors resulting in the Sublimation ink get fade. After washing, try to dry the shirts under shades and avoid direct exposure to sunlight.
FAQs – Sublimation Ink
Q NO.1: Does sublimation ink wash out of cotton?
In the true Sublimation process, Sublimation ink makes a strong bond at the molecular level with the polymer as the cotton surface is polymer so sublimation ink strongly bonds to the surface. On the cotton surface sublimation prints don’t crack and wash out.
Q NO.2: Is sublimation ink long-lasting?
The sublimation inks in printers have a shelf life. If they leave in the printers for a long time, they may cause issues like color shifting, bending, etc. Many people believe the sublimation ink can be used by date without any issue, but, the best practice is to use them within 6 months of installing them.
Q NO.3: What is the disadvantage of using excessive polymer coatings?
For the sublimation on hard surfaces usually, it is recommended to use polymers to boost the adhesive character. This takes 35 seconds to sublimate on the polymer base surface. But most of the surfaces already have a polymer coating. On these surfaces don’t use polymers again because it will increase the time to sublimate and may result in Sublimation Ink washing out more easily.
Q NO.4: What kind of products do I have to avoid washing Sublimation inks?
When you wash the sublimation inks, try to use a minimum amount of laundry products which may wash out the ink. We recommend bleach-free and scent-free detergents for washing. Don’t use dryer or fabric softener agents.
In short, some Sublimation prints need more attention and care as compared to others when washing out. By following the basic washing tips and tricks described above you can prevent the sublimation ink from washing out. These instructions will really help you out with the prevention of tees you ever like.